[FOM] CH and mathematics32

Thomas Forster T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Sat Feb 2 03:24:16 EST 2008

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, James Hirschorn wrote:

> This was discussed e.g. by Steel in some talk for which slides are available
> ("laguna.ps").
>>
>> The answer seems to be that V = WF does not exclude anything that most
>> mathematicians care about.
>
> This agrees with his answer, that "we know of no interesting structure
> outside WF".

What is the force of `interesting' here?   Is it an expression of his
preferences?  Or a judgement about the value of what lies outside WF?

``V = WF doesn't exclude anything that most mathematicians care about...''

Perhaps.  But presumably the question we should be asking is ``Does it
exclude anything that mathematicians *ought* to care about?''