[FOM] Brouwer on mathematical operations: operationalism in mathematics

T.Forster@dpmms.cam.ac.uk T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Sun Dec 28 12:50:02 EST 2008

The question of operationalism in mathematics is a very interesting one. It
seems to me clear that there is a very operationalist streak in a lot of
modern mathematical practice. In fact i am even trying to write a book
about it. Category theory is thoroughly operationalist in conception, and
much of the thinking in theoretical computer science is operationalist.
They don't use the word, but that's what it is. All the Abstract-Data-Type
stuff is operationalist. One of my current projects is to buttonhole the
surviving TCS people of that generation and find out what explicit
philosophical take they had on their subject matter. In Cambridge we have
Robin Milner and Tony Hoare. I think we have John McCarthy on this list. I
would be very interested in what he has to say.

Operationalism in physics has a bad reputation. But perhaps operationalism
about mathematics might be more sensible. It might be the correct
development of the views of Hume and the Wiener Kreis. It's very striking
that not of the philosophers who take an interest in philosophy of
mathematics ever consider operationalist views of mathematics. I suspect if
they looked more closely at what they call *structuralism* they would
discover that quite a lot of what they think is structuralism is actually
operationalism.