[FOM] Understanding Euclid

Jeremy Avigad avigad at cmu.edu
Sat Dec 6 12:42:08 EST 2008

Of course, there is a lot that Euclid does not state in his postulates
and common notions, but, rather, takes to be "diagrammatically obvious,"
or implicit in his definitions. Ed Dean, John Mumma, and I have recently
finished a detailed analysis of Euclidean inference, where we try to
spell out the details:

   "A formal system for Euclid's Elements"
   http://arxiv.org/abs/0810.4315

That might help shed some light on where and how non-spherical
assumptions enter into his reasoning.

Best wishes,

Jeremy