[FOM] Understanding Euclid

Vaughan Pratt pratt at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Dec 5 04:13:25 EST 2008

Bill,

Derivable from what?  Proposition 32?  In my message I fingered
Proposition 32 as a counterexample to spherical geometry along with
Proposition 47.  We're in agreement that Proposition 32 does not hold in
spherical geometry.

The difficulty I'm having is that I don't see how any of Euclid's five
postulates could fail in spherical geometry.  My point was that
propositions such as 32 and 47, which clearly don't hold in spherical
geometry, can't follow logically from postulates all of which hold in
spherical geometry.

Which one of Euclid's five postulates fails in spherical geometry?

Vaughan