[FOM] Finite axiomatisation

Thomas Forster T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Mon Aug 18 18:51:27 EDT 2008

Thanks to all who replied.  I shall go and chase up the references so
kindly supplied.   I am wondering if there isn't perhaps a different,
less semantic proof.  After all, why would one expect a theory with an
r.e. axiomatisation to be somehow equivalent to a finitely axiomatisable
one?  If T has an r.e. axiomatisation, there is a finite engine that emits
axioms of T.  Is there a mathematically robust way of recovering a finite
set of axioms from the finite engine?  The kind of thing i have in mind is
a proof due i think to Bill Craig (I have no idea where i learned it) that
if T has a r.e. axiomatisation then it has a recursive axiomatisation.
The proof is purely syntactic.  I was wondering whether, if one works
the same technique a little harder, one can prove the stronger result.