[FOM] Plea for literature on recursion theory in V_\omega

Paul Tarau paul.tarau at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 19:52:18 EDT 2008

The following papers discuss the Ackermann encoding from Hereditarily
Finite Sets to Natural Numbers, as well as a few other things, ranging
from "hereditarily finite functions" to encodings for graphs,
hypergraphs, BDDs, Church numerals, Von Neumann ordinals, etc. and
their connection to pairing/unpairing functions:

http://logic.csci.unt.edu/tarau/research/2008/tarau_hfs.pdf
http://logic.csci.unt.edu/tarau/research/2008/tarau_shape_shifting.pdf

They contain links to the actual Haskell code running all the
examples. Given the focus on an "executable set theory" most things
stay within HFS, except that Haskell's lazy evaluation is sometime
used to generate infinite streams of of various objects that have
bijective encodings to Natural Numbers.

Paul Tarau

P.S. There are also some nice pictures of Hereditarily Finite Sets and
their friends in the papers :-)