[FOM] Question on the Axiom of Foundation/Regularity

Todd Eisworth eisworth at math.ohiou.edu
Tue Sep 25 11:06:26 EDT 2007

Other than the post by Jan Pax, one or two people gave me some suggestions
about where to look, but nothing turned up in those references.

The ``set-like'' assumption is certainly necessary if you want to use
transfinite recursion on the well-founded relation; since this is a pretty
gosh-darned important part of the development of set theory, my guess is
that the distinction between (*) and (**) (if there is one) is probably not
something that ever garnered much attention.

<Forster>

>Todd,
> did you get any satisfactory replies to this?  (Ignore my
>comment about a descending sequence of length or ordinal of On
>- that was rubbish.)  I can see easily how to prove the
>equivalence of we have DC -  but without DC i don't see how to
>do it.  If you got any informative feedback i would interested
>to see it.

<Eisworth>