[FOM] Concerning definition of formulas

Andy Fugard a.fugard at ed.ac.uk
Tue Oct 2 16:45:04 EDT 2007

Can't resist sending this, which seems related to a lot of the discussion:

``In fact the notion of truth a la Tarski avoids complete triviality by
the use of the magical expression `meta': we presuppose the existence of
a meta-world, in which logical operations already make sense; the world
of discourse can therefore be interpreted in the meta-world, typically
the truth of A becomes meta-A, and we can in turn explain `meta-A' by
`meta-meta-A' ... We are facing a transcendental explanation of logic
`The rules of logic have been given to us by Tarski, which in turn got
them from Mr. Metatarski', something like `Physical particles act this
way because they must obey the laws of physics' ''

from Jean-Yves Girard

@INPROCEEDINGS{Girard1999,
   author = {Jean-Yves Girard},
   title = {On the meaning of logical rules {I}: syntax vs. semantics},
   booktitle = {Computational Logic},
   year = {1999},
   editor = {U. Berger and H. Schwichtenberg},
   volume = {165},
   series = {Series F: Computer and Systems Sciences},
   pages = {215--272},
   publisher = {Springer Verlag}
}

--
Andy Fugard, Postgraduate Research Student
Psychology (Room F15), The University of Edinburgh,