[FOM] Historical queries

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Wed Nov 14 10:26:33 EST 2007

I wrote:

> [...]

I should clarify that the proof requires (k^2)+1 or (k^2)-1 to be a
square times N, not just divisible by N. It shows that the square root
of any integer k^2+1 or k^2-1 is irrational, from which one obtains the
irrationality of any square root of an integer which can be multiplied
by a square to get within 1 of a square.

Here is the solution to the historical mystery of why Theodorus stopped
at 17:

n Size of triangle (relative to base) needed for proof
2  Side 1
3  Hypotenuse 2
5 Side 2
6 Hypotenuse 5