[FOM] What can't be forced?

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Fri May 25 12:25:37 EDT 2007

Well, the last two examples are not "known to be (relatively)
consistent (with ZFC)", though the last example is at least relatively
consistent with ZF.

"Not Con(ZF)" is indeed known to be relatively consistent with ZFC, but
it would be nice to have an example which was in some way essentially
different from this.

If we cannot do better than this, I next ask whether there are
statements which do not hold in M(G) for any generic set G, which do
not imply Con(ZF) and do not imply ~Con(ZF), and which are interesting
enough that we might conceivably care whether they are relatively
consistent with ZFC.

(I am looking for something we KNOW forcing can't help with, which we
still want to know the consistency status of -- arithmetical statements
are the best-known realm where forcing doesn't help us, but I'm not
aware of any non-contrived arithmetical statements whose consistency we
care about, which we already know not to imply Con(ZF).)

-- JS