[FOM] Question about cardinal collapse

Kenny Easwaran easwaran at berkeley.edu
Tue May 15 19:24:38 EDT 2007

Standard Cohen forcing adding a single real preserves all cardinals,
but adds a new function from omega to 2.  I believe that the fact that
it preserves all cardinals means that it doesn't add any isomorphisms
- if the ground model satisfies AC, then every set is isomorphic to a
cardinal, and those isomorphisms persist, so adding any new
isomorphisms should result in a collapse of some cardinal.

I believe the same is true for Cohen forcing adding any number of
reals, or subsets of any set, so that the proof of Easton's theorem
stating that the continuum function can be anything consistent with
Konig's theorem creates a model with exactly the same cardinals as the
ground model of GCH.  If that's right, then there are lots of new
functions but no new isomorphisms.  (I'm assuming that you mean
isomorphisms between sets that already existed, rather than the "new"
isomorphism between the set of reals and some larger cardinal than
before.)

Kenny Easwaran