[FOM] AI-completeness

Mitch Harris maharri at gmail.com
Tue May 1 22:09:38 EDT 2007

On 4/30/07, joeshipman at aol.com <joeshipman at aol.com> wrote:

> However, "writing great novels" cannot be precisely defined either
> formally or informally. "Writing bestselling novels", however, *CAN* be
> given an informal but clear definition, and I suspect it is also
> AI-complete (because it is very hard even for humans to do).

See the article in the New Yorker

  http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2006/10/16/061016fa_fact6

about a neural network that has better-than-human performance in
predicting income of movies based on plot.

To me, it seems like cheating to allow a very large neural network as
a proposed solution to  an AI-complete problem.

--
Mitch Harris