[FOM] Continuous Tetration

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Sat Mar 31 18:52:23 EDT 2007

What is the easiest way to explicitly define a 2-variable function from
the non-negative reals to the non-negative reals with the following
properties:

1) f(0,y)=y
2) f(1,y)=2^y
3) f(nx,y)=f(x,f((n-1)x,y)) for n=1,2,3,...
4) f is continuous
5) for all x, if y1>y2 then f(x,y1)>f(x,y2)

Although I believe an explicit and computable f satisfying 1-5 exists
(and I think it ought to be possible to make f infinitely
differentiable as well), I seem to remember reading that such a
function cannot be analytic, and even that the one-variable restriction
f(1/2,y) cannot be analytic (that is, there is no monotonic real
analytic function f such that f(f(x))=2^x), but I'd appreciate seeing
an explanation of this result.

-- Joe Shipman