[FOM] reply to S.S. Kutateladze (19 Mar)

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Fri Mar 23 11:12:36 EDT 2007

Calculus CAN indeed be purified from the concept of an infinitesimal;
not merely formally, but conceptually too. (We know that Archimedes did
not need infinitesimals in his proofs though using the concept helped
him find his results; we know that Leibniz understood how to eliminate
infinitesimals though he found them useful as a manner of speaking; and
mathematicians since Cauchy have used Calculus without needing
infinitesimals even conceptually). It is true that Calculus cannot be
so "purified" in a HISTORICAL sense, but that is of no philosophical
consequence.

I agree only that speaking of the infinitesimals of Leibniz, Euler, and
Robinson as "shorthand notes" does not mean that this is the only
consistent way to regard them; but I reject your contention that
Calculus philosophically entails infinitesimals because of the "desire
to see the whole through a monad or infinitesimal". Calculus sees the
whole by summing up over the parts, and whether there are uncountably
many "infinitely small parts" or whether there are merely regularities
in finer refinements of finite partitions which we represent as a limit
is not a question with mathematical consequences. (On the other hand,
to the extent that functions are presumed to be "analytic", so that a
monad or infinitesimal really does determine the whole, there is a real
philosophical quandary, which led to the development of the modern
concept of "function"; but this is not the essence of "Calculus".)

Euler certainly understood what Archimedes was doing, and therefore
understood "epsilons and deltas" even though that particular
connotation of those Greek letters was not established until the 19th
century.

If you are just trying to say that Calculus SHOULD not be purified from
the concept of infinitesimal, rather than that it CANNOT, I am open to
hearing philosophical arguments for this.  If you think you have
already made some, please try to recast them in language which makes a
prescriptive case -- your absolutism about the *necessity* of
infinitesimals is obscuring any good points about the *preferability*
of infinitesimals.

-- JS

Kutateladze:
****
Calculus cannot be purified from the concept of infinitesimal.
Calculus reflects the desire of see the  whole through a monad
or infinitesimal which is the whole of everything in Leibniz's similes.
It is at least "impolite" or "progressivist's to speak of infinitesimals
or monads of Leibniz or the nils or zeros of Euler or the hyperreals of
Robinson
as shorthand notes.  Euler was and still is one the best minds in
calculus , but he knew nothing about epsilons and deltas.
****