[FOM] Definition of "philosophy"

Charles Silver silver_1 at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 12 14:15:15 EDT 2007

Donald Stahl writes:
> I wonder if Professor Friedman could give us some information about
> "those
> great intellectual structures which constitute our vehicles for
> systematic
> knowledge" in terms which a cognitive linguist would recognize or
> could
> understand?

	I also "challenged" Harvey--Stahl's paragraph really is a disguised
challenge, isn't it?-- to provide a better explanation of
philosophy.   I now think that may have been unfair!   I think it's
very difficult to give a good definition of philosophy.  Just to trot
out a few ideas that don't work, "philosophy" can be considered
independent of subject matter (and, pretty much in agreement with
Harvey, I'd like to see such a definition work), let's try: "thinking
deeply about some subject in order to get at the truth of it."
	(Shelving the notion of "truth" in order to prevent screeds of
Kuhnian-type objections) I'd like to ask whether *any* subject matter
would do.   For example, does thinking deeply about the genesis of
Sudoku puzzles count?   Supposing some would say it does--and maybe
it does, I don't know--how about: thinking deeply about the concept
of "layering" as it applies to cuisine?   I'd say that does *not*
count.   So, if this is right, not *all* subject matters count.   But
which do and why?
	I think somewhere in Plato (or was it Russell?) there's something
about philosophy addressing the most profound issues of mankind, or
something like that.   What are the most profound issues?

	In an effort to divide and conquer, there's always the "philosophy
of" topics, philosophy of science, of mathematics, of history,....
Then, areas not usually thought of as "philosophy of" topics could be
converted into them.  For example, "ethics" would become "the
philosophy of ethics".   If these were settled as "*the*
philosophical issues," then perhaps one could just look at what
constitutes "a philosophical approach" to these areas.  So, though I
know this is inadequate, I offer something resembling the above
(minus "truth"): thinking deeply about "the philosophical issues" in
order to try to answer questions raised by them.

	Anyway, the above is just a shot at the problem.   I don't think
Harvey should have to shoulder the burden of coming up with what
"philosophy" is (though he *did* tender a sort of definition)

	I hope others are similarly motivated to offer their own views (and
also to tear apart and fix what's written above).

	(Another thing I believe is that "real philosophy" is not often done
in departments of philosophy.  So, a good definition, at least in my
view, should reflect this.)

Charlie Silver