[FOM] Mathematics and precision

A. Mani a_mani_sc_gs at yahoo.co.in
Fri Mar 9 10:41:07 EST 2007

On Tuesday 06 Mar 2007 20:59, Timothy Y. Chow wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, Henrik Nordmark wrote:
> > It seems as if Mathematics is defined by its methodology and not so much
> > or at all by its underlying ontology whatever that may be.
> So for example, you will consider V a legitimate mathematical object if
> you think it's sufficiently precise; otherwise, you won't.  It's not that
> there are necessarily no mathematical objects; it's that whether some
All this sounds like an attempt to reduce the problem to an abstract
chicken-egg problem. In my opinion, the precision approach can work only in
the methodological context. The concept of *sufficiently precise* is
necessarily a methodological and ontological concept. Neither can the
methodological abstraction make sense without some concrete associations and
ontology to guarantee that it is sufficiently mathematical and precise.

This dialectics can be modelled to result in measures of *coherence*, that
guarantee the mathematical nature of the context. That is my standpoint. Then
we can argue about the measures : )

Best

A. Mani
Member, Cal. Math. Soc