[FOM] Mathematics and precision

Vladimir Sazonov V.Sazonov at csc.liv.ac.uk
Sun Mar 4 18:07:09 EST 2007

Quoting Henrik Nordmark <henriknordmark at mac.com> Sun, 04 Mar 2007:

> And how high should the threshold be?
> High enough that we feel confident that in principle what we are
> doing can be formalized even though we may not want to bother doing so.

Of course (I hope) nobody intends to force mathematicians to write
absolutely formal proofs. (However, e.g. programmers do write
absolutely formal programs, and there are also some projects of writing
absolutely formal mathematical proofs.) In the case of proofs or
algorithms we deal, indeed, with formalizability. But, nevertheless,

the SUBJECT MATTER of mathematics is, I believe, just FORMAL SYSTEMS
(provided they serve to support, organise and strengthen our inevitably
vague, amoeba-like intuition).

Proving mathematical theorems (with interesting meaning) in these
systems, relating (interpreting) systems one with another and also with
the real world or with other sciences leads to making them
usable/applicable in various senses. Unlike software engineering,
formal systems considered by mathematicians are quite simply
describable (for example, ZFC, or the rules for manipulating with
derivatives or integrals, etc.). In a sense, mathematics is also a kind
of engineering of formal tools to support our abstract thought ability
(abstract = applicable virtually to anything whatever we could
imagine). On the other hand, software engineering is concerned mainly
with the routine part of our thought and informational activity. This
makes the difference between these two "relatives" sufficiently strong.
And, indeed the style of thought of programmers and mathematicians is
usually rather different. It might look strange (although quite
explainable), but however dealing with absolutely formal objects
programmers are usually not inclined to mathematical standards of
rigour when they are reasoning about their programs or formal systems.
They are too huge and complex to be considered rigorously in the truely
mathematical manner. This is difficult, but there is the place for the
cautious optimism. This is the subject of Theoretical Computer Science
which I would consider as a branch of mathematics also related with
f.o.m.

Vladimir Sazonov