[FOM] How much of math is logic?

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Sat Mar 3 20:51:44 EST 2007

Heck (excerpted from a much longer and more interesting post):
>If you approach this via set theory, then, with the logic again being
<(either full or \Pi^1_1) second-order logic, the weak axiom of infinity
>can take the form of null set, adjunction, and extensionality, as has
>already been mentioned. Adding a strong axiom of infinity to this set
of
>axioms doesn't give a very strong set theory, even in full second-order
>logic, since you don't have power set.

I don't really think this "weak axiom of infinity"  is an axiom of
infinity in an ontologically problematic sense. You never have to treat
an infinite object as a definite mathematical entity, it is only in a
metatheory that you can say there are infinitely many objects. I am
perfectly comfortable with null set and adjunction and extensionality
being regarded as "logical" notions (especially since extensionality
can be treated as a definition rather than an axiom, which simply
allows you to call things equal rather than always having to say that
they have the same members).

Your point about a strong axiom of infinity not adding much strength in
the absence of a power-set axiom is the kind of thing I was driving at.
If you deny the strong axiom of infinity AxInf, then all the other
axioms of ZFC are true in the hereditarily finite sets (and can be
proven from Extensionality, Emptyset, Adjunction, and ~AxInf). But they
do not necessarily seem as "logical" and subject-matter-free as
Emptyset and Adjunction. I think you can make a good case for all of
the axioms of ZFC-Inf in a weak second-order logic, and that the
ontological commitment to the actual infinite is really the only way in
which mathematics essentially transcends logic. But I'd like to see
some contrary arguments, which would necessarily entail statements of
the form "ZFC theorem X is not a logical consequence of the existence
of an actually infinite set".

I would imagine the PowerSet and Replacement axioms are the ones that
would be the hardest to defend as "logical" (I am ignoring the
Foundation axiom because it is not actually used in ordinary
mathematics). However, all the arguments I can think of against their
being "logical" assume an infinite set. I don't see how someone who
denies AxInf could have a problem with treating PowerSet and
Replacement as rules of logic.

-- JS