[FOM] history of diagonal argument

K. P. Hart K.P.Hart at tudelft.nl
Mon Jul 23 12:27:26 EDT 2007

You and Zermelo make a point that I already conceded, namely that the
diagonal argument is easily converted to a proof that R is uncountable.
However, in section 4 of the Beitr\"age Cantor is quite excited about the
fact that he can prove that R and R^2 have the same cardinality `mit diesen
wenigen Strichen' yet he says nothing about thus finding a new way of proving
the reals uncountable.
And that is exactly what I am looking for: a place where Cantor himself wrote
down that the diagonal argument can be used to prove that R is uncountable,
be it using binary or decimal digits.

KP