[FOM] Graph Theory: Terminology

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jul 13 10:07:21 EDT 2007

A. Mani wrote:
> The terminology used by graph theorists vary so much that it becomes
> necessary to indicate references to 'different standard texts' to lessen
> the burden. For example one person's 'simple graph' may be another
> person's 'graph', a 'walk' can be many things,...  Has there been any
> attempt at standardization ?

Standardization by fiat is not likely to meet with any more success in
graph theory than in any other area of mathematics.

However, my recommendation would be to use the "Handbook of Graph Theory"
by Gross and Yellen as your standard text for terminology.  In my opinion
that book has the best chance of becoming a de facto standard.  If you
compare its basic terminology with that of the "Handbook of Combinatorics"
you will see a great deal of agreement.

Tim