[FOM] Why inclusive disjunction?

mhebert mhebert at aucegypt.edu
Wed Jan 10 02:18:41 EST 2007

> Can anyone provide a principled reason for why logicians choose to
> interpret "or" as inclusive disjunction?

Is it simply because (modern) logic was designed by mathematicians, and the inclusive or is more standard (or somehow more natural?) in mathematics, like in "a smaller or equal to b", and in the "union" (which includes the intersection)?
(But then, why would it be more "natural" in mathematics?)
Michel Hebert

Fromfom-bounces at cs.nyu.edu

To"Foundations of Mathematics" fom at cs.nyu.edu

Cc

DateTue, 9 Jan 2007 22:38:30 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

Subject[FOM] Why inclusive disjunction?