[FOM] Formalization Thesis

catarina dutilh cdutilhnovaes at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 05:30:51 EST 2007

The problem with the Formalization Thesis thus stated is, I think, the difficulties concerning the phrase " is faithfully expressed". What exactly does it mean, to express faithfully? Such a transformation from 'informal' theorems of mathematics into 'formal' theorems of ZFC or the like is in fact a kind of translation from one language into another (I'd be interested in hearing from people who disagree with this claim). Now, as widely discussed within the philosophy of language (e.g. Quine's Gavagai example), accuracy of translation is far from being a straightforward, objective matter; I think the same applies to translations such as those that would verify the Formalization Thesis.

The point raised by Bill Tait is one of the issues that would arise in translating ordinary mathematical theorems into formal set-theory: the fact that content that is not part of the original statements seems to 'sneak in', namely the reduction of all kinds of mathematical entities to sets. Quoting Tait, "the reduction adds structure to the type that is not part of its real *meaning*" (my emphasis). It seems to me that a wide array of similar 'translation' problems would arise.

Moreover, even if we accept that a given expression of an ordinary mathematical theorem by means of a formal set-theoretical theorem is faithful, it is very likely that there would be more than one such 'faithful expressions' of the same original mathematical theorem. In other words, this relation of 'faithful expression' would, or so it seems to me, be a one-many relation. This may or may not be a problem, depending on the moral one wishes to extract from the Formalization Thesis.

So, unless one can make sense of the idea of 'expressing faithfully' in a precise way, the Formalization Thesis thus stated does not seem to be sufficiently precise. This said, I find the *attempt* to give a precise formulation to the idea of (all of) ordinary mathematical theorems corresponding in some sense or another to theorems of formal set-theory extremely important and interesting; so thanks, Timothy, for raising this discussion.

Best,

Catarina