[FOM] Other expositions of forcing

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Sat Dec 15 16:55:25 EST 2007

Since announcing my "beginner's guide to forcing," I've learned of some
related work that FOMers may be interested in.

But first, I should mention that I've posted my article on the ArXiv.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0712.1320

I fixed a couple of bugs since the last time I mentioned my article on FOM.

The closest thing I've found to my own article is Kenny Easwaran's
"Cheerful introduction to forcing and the continuum hypothesis":

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~easwaran/papers/forcing.pdf

Kenny reads FOM and I've encouraged him to post his notes to the ArXiv;
they should be appearing soon.  The "cheerful introduction" has a few more
technical details than my account but is still geared towards beginners.

After seeing my article, Peter M. Johnson was motivated to post some
unpublished notes of his to the ArXiv:

http://arxiv.org/abs/0712.1968

He is curious as to whether any of his ideas are new; perhaps some FOMers
can comment on this?

Costas Drossos pointed out to me Dana Scott's expository article from the
late 1960's, which most FOMers will know about but which I did not.

Finally, someone reminded me that Raymond Smullyan and Melvin Fitting have
a book "Set Theory and the Continuum Hypothesis" which, among other
things, presents forcing from the point of view of modal logic.  I have
not digested this fully, but it does seem to have certain advantages over
the standard approaches.

Tim