[FOM] FLT and ZFC, again

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Fri Dec 7 14:42:48 EST 2007

What your anonymous number theorist says is what I had basically
supposed all along -- the infuriating thing is that he, or many other
number theorists, COULD prove and publish a meta-theorem to the effect
that all proofs satisfying certain restrictions on the type of
constructions they do can dispense with the "Universes" axiom, but they
prefer to annoy the logicians by leaving all this background knowledge
unpublished (which I see as related to the fact that your number
theorist wants to remain anonymous). There is a weird sociological
phenomenon going on here involving a lack of respect for reasonable
concerns raised by other mathematicians.

-- JS