[FOM] A beginner's guide to forcing

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Thu Dec 6 15:10:57 EST 2007

I wrote:

> I have just completed a first draft of an expository paper on forcing.
>
>   http://alum.mit.edu/www/tchow/forcing.pdf

Two people pointed out to me that I inadvertently omitted the assumption
that M is countable from Section 5; this is a serious oversight from an
expository point of view.  I have fixed it and made some other changes, so
if you are interested in the paper, please download it again.  Sorry for
the inconvenience.

Let me also state here the challenge that I raise near the end of the
paper: Does a topos-theoretic approach to forcing do a good job of
motivating the concept of "generic"?  One would think so because "generic"
is very much a geometric concept.  But I don't know enough about topoi to
answer the question.

Tim