[FOM] infinite logical derivations

Adam Kolany dr.a.kolany at wp.pl
Tue Aug 21 03:21:13 EDT 2007

Ron Rood wrote
> Dear FOM-ers,
>
> In a Hilbert or Gentzen-style logic, logical derivations are usually
> represented as finite sequences of sentences.
>
> Are there studies of logics in the style of Hilbert or Gentzen (natural
> deduction) which, in one way or another, allow for logical derivations
> of infinite length? If yes, can you provide me with pointers to the
> literature?

try:
http://books.google.pl/books?id=euwzyBRDLWcC&dq=&pg=PP1&ots=krbzCb1OBN&sig=2qZq2kFkaco8gueP6YRnFsxIm2Y&prev=http://www.google.pl/search%3Fhl%3Dpl%26sa%3DX%26oi%3Dspell%26resnum%3D0%26ct%3Dresult%26cd%3D1%26q%3Dalgorithmic%2Blogic%2Bsalwicki%26spell%3D1&sa=X&oi=print&ct=title#PPA105,M1

(google:  algorithmic logic salwicki mirkowska)

Algorithmic Logic is a formal system developed by A.Salwicki and
G.Mirkowska (polish logicians) , as I know, for proving properties of
programs and one of the rules (the one for while loop - which seems
obvious /page 105 - see the preview/) of the system is infinitary. There
are several books on that topic. most which I know are in polish. the
one I pointed above is the only one  in english about which I know.

regards, Adam K.