[FOM] Replacement

Thomas Forster T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 17 21:07:37 EDT 2007

I have been trying to persuade Randall to publish his article on this.
However, Randall is not a replacement-denier.  His point is that the
arguments for replacement (along the lines that it is obviously true
in the cumulative hierarchy) are in fact merely arguments for Sigma-2
replacement.   (He has convinced me, for one.)  The significance of
this observation of his is that should anyone (per impossibile) find
a proof of an inconsistency inside ZF then the usual arguments could
nevertheless still be put to good use - this time justifying Sigma-2
replacement.     There is all the difference in the world between
repudiating replacement and cocking an eye at the arguments that
replacement is obviously true in the cumulative hierarchy.  Those look
*extremely* dodgy to me, but there are plenty of other reasons to adopt
replacement.   And, as i say, what i am intruiged by is the thought
processes of the people who repudiate it.

--
Home page: www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~tf; dpmms phone +44-1223-337981.
In NZ until october work ph +64-3367001 and ask for extension 8152.