[FOM] Replacement

Robert M. Solovay solovay at Math.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Aug 17 16:27:29 EDT 2007

Two brief comments.

 	1) It seems to me that beleiving that ZFC is inconsistent is
stronger than believeing replacement is false. It amounts to holding that
the idea of replacement [or that of some other axiom of ZFC] is
incoherent].

 	2) Boolos argues against the existence of a kappa such that kappa
= aleph_kappa. He waffles a bit and doesn't quite say this is false. But
he certainly argues that we don't have good grounds to believe in the
truth of its existence. I haven't reread his paper carefully. But I think
the instance of replacement he questions would assert that if alpha is an
ordinal, there is a set consisting of aleph_gamma for those gamma less
than alpha.

      With the same disclaimer, I don't read him as questioning the notion
of "set-theoretical truth". He specifically defends number theoretic
"realism".

 	A personal confession: I find parsing the writings of philosphers
quite tedious. I hope to abstain from further discussions as to whether
anyone "believes replacement to be false".

 	--Bob Solovay