[FOM] Recursion Theory and Goedel's theorems

David Auerbach auerbach at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Aug 1 17:04:29 EDT 2007

I think the best way to express the relationship between the Gödel
theorems and recursion theory while at the same time keeping the
connection with formalized theories that give the results their
philosophical oomph is via Post Canonical Systems as in Smullyan's
original Theory of Formal Systems (or his Oxford update of my
crumbling orange Princeton orginal).  And Jersoslow had some
wonderful extensions of that work that are useful in proving the
Second Theorem in ways that make the restrictions on Prov not ad hoc.
(It's sort of one level of analysis finer than Feferman's.)

David Auerbach
Department of Philosophy & Religion
Box 8103
NCSU