[FOM] NBG, Subsets and Cantor's Theorem

T.Forster@dpmms.cam.ac.uk T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 10 12:53:26 EDT 2007

It is of course possible to paint a picture of this subject matter in such
a way as to conceal the role of the axiom scheme of separation, the better
to emphasise other aspects, and Andrej has done this. However the fact
remains that separation *is* necessary. Cantor's theorem fails in Church's
set theory and in NFU, where separation is restricted. And famously,
cartesian-closedness of the topos of sets needs some separation as well.