[FOM] Logics and Linguistics - clarification

John Baldwin jbaldwin at uic.edu
Mon Apr 2 21:24:08 EDT 2007

  As a number of off and on-line respondents have noted, one can describe
fol by a context free language.  I probably did not pose my
  question precisely enough.  I was wondering whether rather than a purely
formal characterization there was some discussion that
  connected the `linquistic' aspects with the logical ones.  In particular
is there   a reasonable restriction of phrase structure
  grammars that gives first order logic. (McCarthy seems to say, no!)

Auerbach's suggestion of Levin's book is more in the direction I wanted,
but I am not sure if the distinctions in formulating fol are other than
technical.

John T. Baldwin
Director, Office of Mathematics and Computer Education
Department of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science
jbaldwin at uic.edu
312-413-2149
Room 327 Science and Engineering Offices (SEO)
851 S. Morgan
Chicago, IL 60607

Assistant to the director
Jan Nekola: 312-413-3750