[FOM] The Irrelevance of definite descriptions in the Slingshot Argument?

Kenny Easwaran easwaran at berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 28 13:26:47 EDT 2006

The issue is just that set abstract terms _are_ definite descriptions.
 Instead of "the x such that ..." you are talking about "the set
containing all and only x such that ...".

And of course, neither argument is clearly valid.  It seems that the
identity is logically equivalent to either s or t only on the
Russellian reading of definite descriptions - but in that case, the
definite descriptions aren't referring terms at all, so they can't
co-refer.  So one of the two types of substitution is blocked on any
reading.  (Unless there is a referential reading of definite
descriptions that can make the whole sentence equivalent to something
simpler.)

Best,
Kenny Easwaran