[FOM] Shipman's field question

Thomas Forster T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Wed Oct 25 16:44:18 EDT 2006

I recently spent an evening with a friend who had an Executive Toy in the
form of ball-and-stick gadgets for making toy models of chemicals.  It
occurred to me that the question of whether or not these structures are
rigid ( = not deformable) is not obviously trivial.  Is this something on
which the (decidable) first-order theory of the reals as an ordered field
has anything amusing to say...?

       tf