[FOM] The Lucas-Penrose Fallacy

Steven Ericsson-Zenith steven at semeiosis.org
Fri Oct 13 13:51:52 EDT 2006

On Oct 12, 2006, at 11:13 PM, Eray Ozkural wrote:

> However, today's scientists acknowledge
> the brain as just another organ in our body. All physical, and
> all mechanical. This allows us to ask scientific questions, for
> instance by characterizing the computation of a single neuron:
>
> http://neco.mitpress.org/cgi/content/abstract/15/8/1715

All mysticism aside, the assumption that neurons are computational
elements in this paper and elsewhere has no basis in empirical
science - it is, at best, an hypothesis. It is an hypothesis that
goes from what we know about computation, not from what we know about
the engineering of biology. Just because it looks like it might be
replaced by cogs and pulleys, does not mean that it can be replaced
by cogs and pulleys.

The acknowledgment of today's scientists is no basis for eliminating
broad inquiry.

With respect,
Steven

--
Dr. Steven Ericsson-Zenith
Institute for Advanced Science & Engineering