[FOM] The Lucas-Penrose Thesis

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 14:18:46 EDT 2006

2006/10/10, Eray Ozkural <examachine at gmail.com>:
> On 10/9/06, Apostolos Syropoulos <asyropoulos at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Also, human programmers are in no way "oracles". Such machines
> > > have been clearly depicted as "hypothetical" by Turing himself who
> >
> > And who say so? Copeland who has studied extensively Turing's writings
> > would really disagree with such a statement. In addition, I did not say that
> > humans are oracles, but that have the role of oracles in the debugging process.
>
> I will reply to this part. I cannot know how Copeland has managed
> to misread Turing's paper. However, it should also be fairly obvious
> that humans do not have the role of oracles in the debugging process.

No it is not obvious at all!  When I said the role I meant the role not that
they are oracles. And in passing I would like to stress that it is one thing
to say that there are no oracle machines and another to say that someone
else has stated explicitly that there are no such machines. In the second
case one has to say specifically where this statement appeared.

Regards,

A.S.

--
Apostolos Syropoulos