[FOM] Question of the Day: What is a Logic?

Thomas Forster T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 9 19:36:07 EDT 2006

The thread seems to have veered off the point of Erik's question, and it
might be an idea to return to it.

I was brought up to believe that a theory was a set of formulae closed
under logical consequence and a logic is a theory closed under uniform
substitution. Thus a logic that says that a binary relation R is
transitive myst say that all binary relations are transitive.  A theory is
intended to capture *truth* (set of allegations true in a given structure
is a standard example of a theory) whereas a logic is intended to capture
validity.

    I am not quite sure who taught me this - and i know there are people
who don' like this characterisation (My colleague Martin Hyland for one) -
and I would be interested to know where this picture somes from.