[FOM] The Lucas-Penrose Thesis

laureano luna laureanoluna at yahoo.es
Sun Oct 8 04:22:29 EDT 2006

He also wrote:

>I know that it is hard to believe, but machines can
>even
>be programmed to make mistakes from time to time,
>like all of us!
>In fact, this happens most of the time, because
>(most probably)
>our current machines are built and programmed by
>other machines.

Arnon Avron has most probably realized that, if he is
right about mechanism, his confidence in classical
logic has no rational basis, for it is just a physical
feature of his mechanical design.

For my part I take my confidence in logic as
'transcendental' (in Husserl's sense) and so this is
one of the reasons I have to believe I'm not a
machine.

It's the only way I can make sense of it all.

Regards,

Laureano Luna Cabañero