[FOM] Directions for Computability Theory Beyond the PureMathematical

Peter Gerdes gerdes at math.berkeley.edu
Wed May 17 14:03:53 EDT 2006

Okay, I think there are two questions here

1) Is their a sequence of events in the world (coded up as a real number and
chosen in some 'computable' fashion) which is non-computable.

2) Are the underlying laws of nature computable (laws viewed as a function
predicting what happens in the future).

I was arguing that we can't experimentally distingush between a positive
answer to 2 which postulates fundamentally random events from a negative
answer to 2 which doesn't.  Thus we can have no confidence that even
apparently computable laws such as QM which allow random events are really
computable because they could be  'hiding' all their non-computability in
the random events.

I realize now that you were asking 1 and not 2.  For 1 it is no longer
important to distinguish non-computable laws from genuine random events so
the problem I raised doesn't apply (they are both going to result in a yes
answer to 1).  Sorry for the confusion.

However, I'm skeptical that the process you name is the only way to get
evidence for a positive answer to 1.  Suppose we get lots of support for a
theory like QM which postulates random events.   This seems to be strong
indirect evidence for a yes answer to 1.  If we believe the theory and take
the events to be truly random then, since an infinite string of coin flips
is going to be non-computable with probability 1, we have reason to believe
that some non-computable sequence is produced by nature.

For example take some event QM says happens randomly with probability .5
(measuring an electron as being spin up in y axis given we have just
measured it's spin in the x-axis).  Now supposing we have good reason to
believe this event is going to happen infinitely many times then if QM is
correct we should believe with probability 1 that nature will produce a
non-computable real.

I'm not sure how convinced I am by this sort of argument.  However, if we
are going to accept this sort of indirect evidence for electrons shouldn't
we be willing to do it for non-computable reals in nature?

Peter