[FOM] Deflationism

A.S.Virdi@lse.ac.uk A.S.Virdi at lse.ac.uk
Wed Mar 22 15:25:02 EST 2006

On Tues, 21 Mar 2006 Neil Tennant wrote:

>Why should the deflationist want what you claim she wants?
>Can you cite an expression of her alleged want?

Many thanks for your reply! In "Philosophy of Logic" (1970, p. 12), Quine wrote:

   We may affirm the single sentence just by uttering it, unaided by quotation
   or by the truth predicate;

so committing oneself to the claim that 'p is true' does no more than commit
oneself to the claim that 'p', i.e. the concept is dispensable in such locutionary acts.
This is typical of deflationism about truth:- the concept is redundant, as signalled (for deflationists)
by the cognitive equivalence of 'p' with 'p is true'. All that truth is doing here is cancelling
the effect of quotation. Straight after this, Quine goes on to say:

   but if we want to affirm some infinite lot of sentences, then the truth
   predicate has its use.

Truth becomes indispensable in affording us the ability to make certain
types of generalizations. Actually, it is perfectly reasonable to highlight this feature.