[FOM] multi-sorted logic

praatika@mappi.helsinki.fi praatika at mappi.helsinki.fi
Sun Mar 12 08:11:30 EST 2006

Alan Baker wrote:

> I recently received the following request from a colleague in the
> Mathematics Department. Any suggestions would be welcome:
>
> "In my work recently I have been handicapped by not being familiar with
> the basic facts about mult-sorted and higher order logic.  Do you know a
> source appropriate for a non-logician mathematician who wants something
> more on the "user's guide" end of the spectrum rather than the
> encyclopedic end?"

There is a very good introductory discussion of these matters in Herbert
B. Enderton: A Mathematical Introduction to Logic.

Next, see

Daniel Leivant, "Higher Order Logic", Handbook of Logic in Artificial
Intelligence and Logic Programming, Volume 2: Deduction Methodologies.

AND/OR

van Benthem, J. and Doets, K. (1984): 'Higher Order Logic' in Handbook of
Philosophical Logic, vol. I, eds. Gabbay, D. & Guenthner G., Dordrecht:
Reidel Publishing Company, 274-329.  [there is a second revised edition,
but I don't have the reference...]

Best, Panu

Panu Raatikainen
Ph.D., Academy Research Fellow,