[FOM] On >>this sentence cannot be proven true<<

Hartley Slater slaterbh at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Sun Jul 30 22:29:40 EDT 2006

At 12:00 PM -0400 30/7/06, Laureano Luna Caba?ero wrote:
>But assume "this very sentence cannot be proven true" or "the
>current sentence cannot be proven true" (ad lib) succeeds in
>achieving self-reference. Let us call it "K". Under that condition K
>seems to express no proposition.

First some general remarks:

You are talking about an interpretation of the sentence, and so,
first of all, you are involved not in syntactic self-reference, but
the only possible form of self-reference, namely semantic
self-reference.  That is why a calculus of indirect speech is
required, to formalise remarks like 's says that p'.  It is very
uncommon to find people considering indirect speech in connection
with Liar, and Liar-like Paradoxes, and yet it must be brought in
because of the impossibility of syntactic self-reference.  The
calculus I  use originates in some of Ramsey's remarks, and was first
given a formalisation by Goodstein in the JSL for 1958.  Amongst
other things Goodstein demonstrated the application of his calculus
to two Liar paradoxs, and proved its consistency.  Prior used
Goodstein's formalisation extensively in his book 'Objects of
Thought', but its manner of quantifying over propositions, he
realised, was not the best.  For instance, Prior would write
'Everything a believes is true' as '(p)(Bap -> p)', and, amongst
other things, just how 'p' should be read in the quantifier troubled
him (see his Ch 3).   In my Analysis 2001 paper previously mentioned,
'Prior's Analytic Revised', I showed the Ramsey-Goodstein-Prior
calculus could be improved by introducing variables over referring
phrases to propositions, i.e. phrases like 'what s says', 'what a
believes', and 'that the moon is made of green cheese' - the term
'that' serving to nominalise the following sentence, being symbolised
by the '*' in my previous messages.

In your case you want to say about your sentence, 'k', that it says
that it cannot be proven that it is true, i.e. that it says that that
k is true (*Tk) cannot be proven, i.e. Sk*-P*Tk.  But the T-scheme is
conditional on the univocality of the sentence, as before, i.e.
(r)(Skr <-> r=*-P*Tk)  -> (Tk <-> -P*Tk),
so any contradiction derivable on the right merely leads to a denial
of the left.  You go on:

>   1st. K cannot be proven true: if K were proven true it would be
>simultaneously true and false.
>
>   2nd. If K expresses a proposition, then what K says has been
>proven true in 1st, so that K must be both true and false.

For the first claim you are presumably thinking that, since we know
that P*Tk -> Tk, but also that Tk < -> -P*Tk, hence -P*Tk.  But that
depends on the T-scheme holding, which is not itself proven.
Certainly the second claim would hold if it started 'if K expresses
just the proposition that K cannot be proven true'.  For if (r)(Skr
<-> r=*-P*Tk) then one would definitely be able to get that -P*Tk, as
in the first, and so Tk, because the T-scheme would hold, but also
thereby P*Tk, and so -Tk, again from the T-scheme.  But your second
claim misses out the uniqueness clause needed to get all this.