[FOM] Logic and metalanguage - a question (fwd)

Hao Zhaokuan zkhao at fudan.edu.cn
Thu Jul 20 23:55:50 EDT 2006

We never define sets and numbers by logic, just describe them by some axioms. Actually, since our axioms are not strong enough, we just grasp a part of the meaning of the concept of set! When Frege said that he define the concept of number with pure logic, he assumed that it is known what the extension of a concept is(Grundlagen,68), hence he used concept of set already.

Zhaokuan