[FOM] Kolmogorov Feasibility??

Mirco Mannucci mmannucc at cs.gmu.edu
Mon Jul 10 13:12:54 EDT 2006

Dear FOM Fellows,

though I am convinced that the notion of feasibility should be
investigated as a primitive one, either as a unary or n-ary predicate (in
case one wishes to consider relative feasibility ), I think it is also
worth trying to model it in some concrete way.

In this spirit, it recently occurred to me that, as numbers can be
realized as binary strings, one could come up with the following: a number
is feasible iff its algorithmic complexity as a string is small (with respect
to the number itself).

By complexity here I mean Kolmogorov complexity, or some related
concept.

Any such notion of "Kolmogorov feasibility" would not be monotonic, but
after all, who said it should be?

Now my question: is there any ref to the above? And, if so, who has worked
on this approach  or similar ones?

Thanks to all

Mirco A. Mannucci