[FOM] Could spacetime be discrete?

Alexander Zenkin alexzen at alexzen.info
Sun Jan 15 15:57:31 EST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: fom-bounces at cs.nyu.edu [mailto:fom-bounces at cs.nyu.edu] On Behalf
Of Richard Haney
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2006 2:29 AM
To: FOM
Subject: Re: [FOM] Could spacetime be discrete?

"bcc" to Alasdair Urquhart urquhart at cs.toronto.edu

Alasdair Urquhart urquhart at cs.toronto.edu wrote:

<begin quote>
Richard Haney raises the question as to whether spacetime could be
discrete.  I am not sure what this means, but if it means that there is
a minimum length, this appear inconsistent with special relativity.
Could somebody elucidate this point?
<end quote>

"One has to find a possibility to avoid the continuum (together with
space and time) altogether. But I have not the slightest ideas what kind
of elementary concepts could be used in such a theory."

Letter from Albert Einstein to David Bohm, October 28, 1954

No comments.

Alexander Zenkin