[FOM] Query on alternating groups

Jon Cohen Jonathan.Cohen at anu.edu.au
Wed Jan 4 22:51:32 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 08:06, joeshipman at aol.com wrote:
> I am looking for results on the orders (or, equivalently, the indexes)
> of maximal subgroups of the alternating groups An.

Not quite what you are looking for, but the O'Nan-Scott Theorem can be
seen as classifying the maximal subgroups of the alternating group. A
maximal subgroup is an intransitive direct product, a transitive but
imprimitive wreath product, a primitive wreath product in its product
action, a regular abelian group or an almost simple group - the first
three of specific groups. Cameron's permutation groups book has the
statement of the theorem in this form, but you might also try Dixon and
Mortimer's book of the same title.

best,
Jon

--