[FOM] The Gold Standard/correction

Robert M. Solovay solovay at Math.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Feb 24 02:08:03 EST 2006

Comment at the end of the message:

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Harvey Friedman wrote:

> On 2/23/06 4:44 PM, "Robert M. Solovay" <solovay at math.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>> ZC is equiconsitent with ZC + Mostowski collapse + "Every set has a
>> transitive closure". The latter theory is much more pleasant for the
>> set-theorist to work in than ZC. {But of course not as nice as ZFC.]
>>

> I agree with this. Another way of saying this is to consider the equivalent
> theory to Solovay's:
>
> ZC + (forall x)(therexists an ordinal alpha)(x lies in V(alpha)).

 	I agree that this theory is nice but it's not equivalent to the
one I gave. One can give a model of the theory I gave [if one uses
Zermelo's version of the natural numbers] which does not contain the
hereditarily finite sets. And Friedman's theory does not entail Mostowski
collapse as the example V(omega + omega) shows.

 	My favorite weakening of ZFC [but it is considerable stronger than
ZC] is: ZC + Mostowski collapse + V is precisely those sets lying in some
V(alpha) (and for every ordinal alpha V(alpha) exists).

 	The natural models of this are the V(kappa) for kappa a Beth fixed
point.

 	--Bob Solovay