[FOM] computing over the reals

William Tait wwtx at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 20 10:30:58 EST 2006

It is a nice paper.

I have difficulty locating the notion of computation behind the Blum
et al model. Blum lectured on it at U of Chicago a few years ago and
spoke as though there were two ideas of computation, one starting
with the *assumption* of discreteness and the other with continuity.
But Turing's analysis didn't *start* with the assumption of
discreteness. As I understand him, he began simply with the aim of
analyzing the notion of (human) mechanical computation, and
discreteness was a result of his analysis. (As I recall, he derived
it from the requirement that states be readable.)

Help!

Bill Tait