[FOM] some references?

John Steel steel at Math.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Feb 14 19:06:13 EST 2006

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Saeed Salehi wrote:

> Being a novice on the subject, I would like to ask the
> FOMers a favor:
> Could somebody please provide references for some of those
> set-theoretic questions which are answered the wrong way by
> V=L?

     I summarized some pro-PD, anti-V=L arguments in
"Mathematics needs new axioms" (BSL v. 6, 2000, p. 422.)
See section 2.6 for something on evidence coming from
the theories of projective sets they generate. See also
D.A. Martin, "Mathematical evidence", Truth in Mathematics,
Clarendon Press, G. Dales et al eds. Moschovakis' book
"Descriptive Set Theory" (North Holland 1980) has a brief discussion
in section 8I.

John Steel