[FOM] Choice of new axioms 1

Jacques Carette carette at mcmaster.ca
Mon Feb 13 20:00:15 EST 2006

Eray Ozkural wrote:

>I agree with Bauer in that the independence results hint at a
>fundamental relativism in mathematics rather than an
>absolute truth.

What I find most fascinating here is the contrast with Computer
Science:  the Church-Turing thesis has  proven itself to be quite
``stable'', and so notions of computations can safely be determined via
any Turing-complete programming language.  This gives rise to the very
stable notion of Kolmogorov-Chaitin Complexity, which does not seem to
have a satisfactory counterpart in mathematics (yet!).

This seems to be related to the strong countability assumptions of
Turing machines, as well as some weaker finiteness assumptions (ie
interesting programs terminate).  I am eagerly watching the developments
in the ``realizability'' approach to Analysis and other parts of
mathematics, as it appears that quite a bit of mathematics survives, and
is sometimes reborn in quite fascinating new guises.

Has anyone tried to work on Kolmogorov type complexity theory for
mathematical systems which are somehow ``stable''?

Jacques