[FOM] constructivism and physics

Laura Elena Morales Guerrero lem at fis.cinvestav.mx
Fri Feb 10 12:47:43 EST 2006

Dear fomers:

I'd like to add a few comments. Let's consider the
following.

 We are going to simulate a computation. We choose to
 compute the logical NOT of a single bit (that is, the
 negation of a bit or of a qubit) using two special
 quantum logic gates. Consider the individual gates
 as each being "square-root-of-NOT" gates [Deutsch92].
 We denote it as \sqrt NOT. The name comes from the fact
 that consecutive applications of two quantum logic
 gates can be understood, mathematically, as the dot
 product of the operators corresponding to those gates.
 Thus the computation that we want to simulate can be
 characterised as \sqrt NOT dot \sqrt NOT identical NOT.
 What makes this computation "quantum" is the fact that
 it is impossible to have a single-input/single-output
 classical binary logic gate that works this way. Any
 classical binary \sqrt NOT gate is going to have to
 output either a 0 or a 1 for each possible input 0 or
 1.

 Suppose you defined the action of a classical \sqrt NOT
 gate as the pair of transformations

 \sqrt NOT_cl(0)=1
 \sqrt NOT_cl(1)=1

 The two consecutive applications of such a gate could
 invert a 0 succesfully but not a 1. Similarly, if you
 defined a classical \sqrt NOT gates a the pair of transformations

 \sqrt NOT_cl(0)=1
 \sqrt NOT_cl(1)=0

 then two consecutive applications of such a gate would
 not invert any input! In fact, there is no way to define
 \sqrt NOT classically using binary logic so that two consecutive
 applications of \sqrt NOT reproduce the behaviour of a NOT
 gate.

 Computing NOT illustrates an aspect of quantum computation.
 This \sqrt NOT gate is defined in terms of a squared unitary
 two by two complex matrix. It acts on a single qubit and
 \sqrt NOT dot \sqrt NOT identical NOT operator. The effect of
 a \sqrt NOT is quite unlike any classical logic gate. Acting
 on a single qubit turns it into a superposition of the two
 base states (0 and 1), highly non-classical.

 Regards,
 LE